Situated on a gentle N-facing slope. Topsoil stripping (02E0194) in advance of a gas pipeline identified a large area (dims 46m E-W; 10.5m N-S; D 0.3m) of heat-shattered stone (BGE: 1A/25/1) which was completely excavated (02E0687). It resolved itself into two fulachta fia, the single troughs of which were 25m apart E-W. The W spread (dims 12.5m E-W; 7m N-S; max. T 0.1m) had a circular pit (diam. 1.1-1.15m; D 0.55m) with compact clay lining the base overlaid by charcoal-rich silty clay that had burnt stone inclusions. An ENE-WSW field ditch cut across the mound and the upper levels of the trough and had a single fill of silty clay with charcoal and burnt stone inclusions. The trough produced a C14 date of 2290-2020 cal. BC, while a sample from the drain provided a date of 2190-1950 cal. BC. (Byrne 2002, 2004, 2007)
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 8 March, 2018Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.