This site (BGE: 1A/36/2) was excavated (02E0833) ahead of the Gas Pipeline to the West. Located on a steep slope below the crest of a ridge, at the point where marshy pasture becomes bog it consisted oval trough (1.7m diam. 0.74m deep) contained twelve fills. A radiocarbon date of 2290-1920 cal. BC was recovered from the basal fill. Four rectangular and nineteen smaller circular stakeholes were cut into the trough base. a further eight stakeholes and two shallow pits were located to the NW of the trough. A small pit located SE of the trough had a high charcoal content and returned a date of 2290-2020 cal. BC. A rough brushwood layer occurred between the two main layers mound material which was located 2m downslope of the trough. (Baker 2004; 2006; 2007)
Compiled by: Christine Baker
Date of upload: 16 April 2015
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.