Situated at the S end of a low NW-S ridge. Topsoil stripping (02E0194) in advance of a gas pipeline identified what appeared to be an industrial complex (BGE: 1A/35/2) that was completely excavated (02E0857) apart from the S end of the burnt spreads. It consisted of isolated burnt material at S, and two wooden structures that burnt down. Each of these was connected with corn-drying kilns to the W. Both kilns were of the key-hole type and no artefacts were recovered.
The burnt spread consisted of six spreads (total dims c. 4m x c. 2m) of a grey ashy deposit overlaid by charcoal-rich soil with some heat-shattered stone. The spreads overlay one small and two larger pits, and pre-dated other phases. A C14 date of 2200-1890 cal. BC relates to this phase. (Tobin and Sunderland 2003, 5-7; Tobin 2004; Tobin 2007)
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 8 March, 2018Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.