Situated on a level landscape. Topsoil stripping (02E0194) in advance of a gas pipeline identified a charcoal-rich concentration (BGE: 6/1/2), which was completely excavated (02E0326). An irregularly shaped hearth was associated with five other pits within in a hollow (diam. c. 4m), and one of the pits contained excess ash from the hearth. There were post and stake-holes for a small screen just NE of the hearth. One of the associated pits had a carefully laid stone on the base and contained a fragment of a saddle quern, a rubber and a large fragment of domestic Food Vessel pottery. Two radiocarbon dates focus on a date of c. 2050-1880 BC. (Byrne, E. 2002; 2004; Byrne 2007)
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 8 March, 2018Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.