Situated on a steep NE-facing slope down to a NW-SE section of the River Boyne that is c. 230m to the NE. A gabled house is depicted close to the church at Fennor on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony map of Duleek (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/). According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Sir Richard Barnwall of Crickstown (ME039-006----) and Walter Stanly owned 472 acres at Fennore, Johnstown and Bodnamrock, which was the entire parish, and the property included ‘one castle and a fishing weare’ (Simington 1940, 44). Projecting from the N wall of the house (ME019-036001-) is a tower that is not bonded to it. This has a base-batter and a slit window in the N wall, and it is vaulted over the ground floor. Two upper levels have large windows on the N wall and there is a gable over the N wall that was probably added. It was re-used as a stairs for the attached house. The parish church of Fennor (ME019-035----) is c. 40m to the N.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload; 22 June, 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.