Located on the foreshore above high water mark and just E of the railway embankment. The well is dedicated to St. Patrick and had a pattern from Julianstown in the nineteenth century (Herity 2001, 52) until 1912 when the last one was held (French 2011, 51). There is a folk tale that St Benignus was baptised by St. Patrick at this well and promptly died (IFC: vol. 685, 193, 262). The well is a natural spring (diam. c. 3m) with a surround of stone slabs and it is situated between two bushes, but there is no evidence of veneration.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 September, 2018Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.