A bridge crossing a SW-NE section of the Knightsbrook River is depicted on the Down Survey (16556-8) maps of Moyfenrath barony and Laracor parish, for which see this web-page accessed on 09/11/2017: http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/down-survey-maps.php#bm=Moyfenrath&c=Meath&p=Lauracorr In the seventeenth century the stream was known as the Iffernock Brooke (Simington 1940, 176) and the bridge carried the main road (R 158) from Trim to Kilcock, as it did until c. 2010 when a new bridge and road were built just to the NE. The old bridge is a single arch structure built in the nineteenth century, probably when the stream was canalised, but the causeway approaching from the SW is known locally to have had four arches to relieve flooding, only two of which can now be seen because of spoil. A survey of the bridge (Wth 6.15m) by R. Bangerter connected with the roadworks concluded that its segmental arches are of a post-1775 form (excavations.ie 2004:1281) (O’Neill 2007). (Haworth 2009, 19-21)
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 9 November, 2017Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.