The 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map depicts a semi-circular embankment (int. dim. c. 70m NW-SE; ext. dim. c. 130m NW-SE) surviving SE-W-NW, on the W side of a NNW-SSE road. St Columba's Church of Ireland church and graveyard were constructed within the embankment in the late 19th century, but the church is now abandoned and only the tower survives. There is evidence of three headstones within the southern portion of the enclosure, and one burial (ME032-070----) on top of the embankment at W was uncovered in 1967. These burials are probably relatively modern internments and associated with the use of the church, but the enclosure is defined by a pre-existing and substantial but overgrown earthen bank (Wth c. 5-10m; H c. 1-2m).
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 19 April, 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.