The remains of Bellewstown castle stand c. 30m E of the present Bellewstown House. It was built by Richard Bellew in 1472-79. A fragment of stone flooring and wall of the castle still survives. On a building to the E of the castle, known as the Lodge, there are two inscribed stones which when combined with a third stone in Sarsefieldstown form a full inscription that commemorates John Bellew repairing the steps and door of Bellewstown castle in 1598. Historical records show that Bellewstown castle was occupied by Cromwellian troops during the seige of Drogheda in 1649. George Victor Du Noyer marked the location of the castle on a Geological Survey map in 1866(pers comm. Mr Colin Byrne, Briarleas, County Meath).
Compiled by: Geraldine Stout
Date of upload: 9 June, 2016
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage