Located in a field known as the Castle field (http://www.meathfieldnames.com/index.php/database-and-mapping) on the broad summit of Ardcath Hill. There is no record of a castle at Ardcath, but according to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Roger ffinglass of Ardcath and Thomas Dillon of Balgeeth owned 180 acres there and the premises inclueded ‘a farme house and a church’ (Simington 1940, 27). Fragments of the building were uncovered in the 1920s during quarrying activity which is described in the Schools Manuscript Collection (1938). The Castle field is marked on a map of Ardcath, by Thomas Farrell (1899) (pers. comm. Mr Colin Byrne, Briarleas, County Meath), but at present its precise location is not known.
Compiled by Geradine Stout
Date of upload: 13/03/2012Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.